středa, prosince 20, 2006

Hanukkah

Happy Hanukkah!

Sorry I haven't posted in awhile.

So, it is now (obviously) Hanukkah, and yes, I have been celebrating. The first night, I went to t the synagogue in Brno, which is nice. It is pretty small (not as small as Ostrava), and is a more orthodox synagogue. There are some families with small children, and I think three families from Israel.

It was a much different service than I am used to. The rabbi seemed to be rushing through everything, and mumbled the whole time. I am used to (and prefer) a more participatory service.

I went to the service with (I think) the boyfriend of the sister of the woman I was staying with. After the service, we walked back to the sister's house (like 45 minutes, in the cold), to do something there. There, we lit the menorah, and I attempted to make latkes without a recipie (they actually turned out pretty well, but they don't have applesauce here!). We played scrabble (not quite dreidel, but interesting in czech and english).

Lately, with my new family, I have been lighting the menorah, and attempting to explain the concept of Hanukkah in czech. I have given them geld (lovingly sent from my mommy), and then open my presents (also lovingly sent my by mommy!) alone.

There are very few Jews here, and for many people I am the first Jew that they have met. It is interesting to think that I may be the one that shapes people's opinions on Jews and Americans.

1 komentář:

Anonymní řekl(a)...

What a profound thought your last sentence was !!!! It made me read it over and over and just think about it. In my OBJECTIVE opinion,you're a wonderful example of our country and our religion. Hope this family is everything you're hoping for....Love,Grandma