pondělí, října 02, 2006

My Birthday

Včera byla můj narozeniny. (Yesterday was my birthday). Byla dobra. (It was good). I'll start from the beginning. In the morning, I made pancakes for breakfast, and they turned out pretty well (I'm glad I found maple syrup). I had a little trouble turning on the stove (child safety really does work), but past that it was good. I was a little worried because I had to cook them in a pan rather than on a griddle, and I've never done that before, but it was okay.

Then we went and played squash (similar to racquetball, but only in the fact that you play inside, use a racquet, and play with two people). I definitely like squash better than aerobics (I tried that a couple of days ago and it didn't go well). More power, less dance. I'm not very good, and apparently I play like I'm playing tennis (not that I've ever played that before either), but it's fun.

Then we went apple picking at babička's. The apples are good, but I don't like doing it for 3 hours. I ended up playing around with my camera and getting some good pictures for about the last hour.

At like 3, family (host uncle, aunt and grandma's) came over, and it was another little birthday celebration. I'm glad that it was family too because it makes me feel like part of their family. I had no idea what was going on for part of it though because they were singing in czech and yeah. Chocolate and flowers are common gifts here, so now I have lots of fancy chocolate and three vases of flowers.

Yesterday was also the second time I've talked to mom, and the first time to dad since I've been here. I was really happy to talk to them. I cried a little at the beginning and end, but I realized I don't really want to go home yet, I just want to see them.

We had burritos (czech style) for dinner. They were definitely intersting. Instead of tortillas, they used homemade crepe like things. Ketchup is often used for tomato sauce, I've noticed, and there was lots of cheese, and little bits of ham (like in everything).

Anyway, that was my birthday, it was pretty good. I'll definitely remember my 16th birthday that I spent in the Czech Republic.

2 komentáře:

Anonymní řekl(a)...

Hey Becca, glad to read your blog and happy birthday. Congrats! What an exciting time for you. Anyway, when I read about your pancakes, I just have to ask - Did you use real maple syrup or Aunt Jemima? I hope it was the real kind as I know your mom limits your intake of the real kind! Take care!

Becca řekl(a)...

It was (I think) the real kind. The only kind they had in the store here, but it was canadian maple syrup, and it tasted good! Anyway, thanks for the happy birthday.